Thursday, March 27, 2008

The joy of a Easter vacation

I know how to spell harmony, or maybe it is happiness I’m thinking about. Being in my cabin up in the mountains in northern Sweden. Driving snowmobile, thinking a lot, sleeping even more. Driving my snowmobile in 100km/h over a frozen lake or up on a mountain in 40 centimetres of powder snow. It was about 80-100 centimetres snow and at nights it was very cold (like –30) and during the days it was around –10, but very sunny and nice. The snow was glittering, we sat in the snow-sofas we made for ourselves and talked, ate and had a very nice time. I managed to drive 200 kilometres in four days.

I wrote like 10 blog posts while I was driving my snowmobile (I seriously do my best thinking while driving snowmobile), but since it was very hard to write it down at the same time, I forgot almost all of it and this is what you get.

I made a list of things that are significant for being in my cabin for a couple of days:
Fall asleep on the sofa at 9.30 in the evenings, sleeping like 11 hours almost every night, sleep or almost sleep on reindeer fur in the snow in the sun (my dad and his friend was clearly sleeping, the sound revealed them), bruises all over (especially my right knee was very exposed to pain) and a back that hurts after a day with harsh driving, the fact that you have to heat up water if you want to wash yourself (since we don’t have running water, and especially not running hot water), eat, eat, eat and eat some more.

Going home also meant that I had the possibility to drive a car, not my own though, but one of my parents’ cars. I drove to my brother’s and his girlfriend’s house, and had a nice evening there. I miss driving…

Anyway, going home to Sweden was very nice, it was more than nice, it was great and worth all the time and money. But even better was going back to Ireland and realize that “I’m going home”. This time I arrived in Cork and knew where I was going, that I have a home and friends and that I like my life here a lot. Last time I came to Cork I was very nervous and hardly knew anything about how my life would turn out. Going home also made me realize that there is nothing I miss so much from home that I want to move back at the moment.

No comments: